Fall is the perfect time to prepare your home for winter and take care of the many little things around the house that you have been putting off. Use these tips to get your home in tip top shape and your family protected from potentially dangerous situations.
· Gutters: Fall is the perfect time to inspect and clean your home’s gutters. They actively divert water away from the home and prevent damage to the home’s structure. This is an easy project that will prevent future damage to your most valuable investment.
· Roof: After checking the gutters, check the roof to ensure that there are no loose or damaged metal flashing around the eaves. Repairing any damage before a small problem becomes a big one can save you a lot of time and money.
· Pipes: Wrap exposed pipes around the perimeter of your home. Oklahoma City, OK has had many ice storms in recent years. Wrapping your pipes will help prevent them from freezing in the snow and ice.
· Batteries: Check the batteries in your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide monitors. Doing this on a regular basis to ensure that they are in working order can prevent deadly situations.
· Fire Extinguishers: Every home should have at least one regularly maintained fire extinguisher ready for emergencies. Check the pressure gauge to ensure that it is charged and ready when needed. Also check to see if the nozzle is clean and clean the unit up. Replace the unit if needed.
· Review Home Owners Insurance: The professionals at FM Insurance are ready to help with your home owner’s insurance. Find the insurance coverage you need online today with FM Insurance or visit their offices in Oklahoma City, OK. Their professionals can help.