How to Prepare for Driving Abroad

Preparation is critical when you are going to be driving abroad. Particularly if you are crossing the pond, there is quite a lot to know because you may be dealing with foreign languages and even driving on the “wrong” side of the road.


You should always have auto insurance in place, even if it is for a rental car. If there is an accident or your car gets hit in a parking lot, it’s easier to file a claim than to have to pay out of pocket. Your rental car company may be able to provide all the coverage you need. It is also possible that your auto policy will cover you if you travel to Canada or Mexico.

Road Signs

Do the research to find out what the road signs look like in the country you are traveling to. This will make it easier to know how to drive and adjust your speed accordingly. This can prevent getting into trouble when you arrive and see a road sign for the first time.


You want to make sure you know where you are going, and a GPS can be the best thing to have. Don’t depend solely on a map app as it can cost you a lot of money with roaming charges from your cell phone company.


You also want to check on the requirements for driving in a particular country. A standard driver’s license may not be enough. You may be required to obtain an International Driving Permit (IDP). These are easy enough to get and most auto clubs will help you with them for a small fee.

Call to find out more about auto insurance. Our agents at FM Insurance are happy to discuss policies, coverage levels, and answer any questions you may have. We can also get quotes from some of the best insurance companies to help you compare rates.