People generally plan to be at home or in a safe location during extreme weather conditions. However, sometimes it is not possible for a variety of reasons. If you find yourself on the road during a weather emergency, we at FM Insurance want you to have the peace of mind of knowing the steps to take to increase your safety in any event.
Steps to Take if You are on Road in Weather Emergency
- Remain calm. This is key, in many situations clear thinking can be the difference between life and death. It can be harder than it sounds but reminds you often to stay calm and think out your options.
- Keep your car stocked with supplies such at drinking water, meal bars, a first aid kit, and even an extra cell phone for emergency calls.
- There is no one answer as to whether you should pull over or drive out of the weather, you must make this choice at the time but remember to never drive through standing water and if you do choose to pull over do so slowly and turn on your flashers.
- Follow instructions that any law or emergency personal gives. Even if your house is just a few miles away or whatever valid reasons you have for not listening, you may not have all the information.
- If you see a tornado, it is recommended that you duck and cover inside your car after parking it in a low area such as a ditch. Do not leave your car and remember that an overpass is not a shelter to seek out.
Contact us at FM Insurance if you are in Oklahoma City, OK and the surrounding areas for great rates and fast quotes.